Friday, December 15, 2006

Alfalfa Bill Murray, Governor of Oklahoma


In the fall of 1955 when I was 18 my father had business with former Governor William Murray who lived in an upstairs one room apartment on a side street in Tishomingo, Oklahoma. I remember several plates of half eaten food setting on various tables around the room, an unmade bed, ashtrays full of cigar stubs and an overwhelming cigar smell filled the room. Dad introduced me to him...they had been friends all their lives in Johnston county. Dad told me that "Cuckle Burr Bill" as he was fondly called locally had almost won the Democratic nomination for President of the United States in 1932 but was beat out by Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Within a year both my dad and Governor Murray passed on. Dad and the Governor were both born in Montague, Texas in the past century. Ships passing in the night.
Alfalfa Bill Murray more than any other deserves the title "Father of Oklahoma"

No comments: